Lake Atitlan is probably one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. It is easily the most beautiful lake I have ever seen. It has been overcast and sometimes rainy ever since we have arrived but that doesn’t change my mind at all. Multiple hills and cliffs surround the lake, as well as three volcanos. The natural beauty of the lake, the towns, and the people is overwhelming. I’ve been able to take a decent amount of pictures since I have been here and will upload all of them later but here are a few to show you what the lake and the town of San Pedro look like.
- You can find many small wooden docks around the San Pedro area but this once made for an especially good photo opportunity.
- A few of the lake from someone’s yard
- One of the ferries that take people from town to town on Lake Atitlan
- The town of San Pedro sits right at the base of San Pedro Volcano
- A view looking up at San Pedro from near the water
- A local using a canoe to cross Lake Atitlan
- A small garden right on Lake Atitlan
- One of the main docks in San Pedro
- Many Mayan women do their laundry in the Lake
- There are a few paths near the shore in San Pedro and most of them provide a great view of the lake or garden scenery
- A view of San Pedro from the water
- This is the view I wake up to every morning from the balcony just outside my room.
During our time here so far we’ve had the opportunity to go kayaking around the lake and get some amazing views of the different volcanoes and towns around the lake. The water here is fairly cold but luckily today it was calm enough for us to go out. I was able to take a video of our view from the middle of the lake, sorry about the close up of my face in the beginning!